The wind and rain may have stopped but that doesn’t mean the disaster is over. Far from it, really.
As the recovery process in the New York City area continues in the wake of Hurricane Sandy airlines are getting in on the act, supporting the American Red Cross and other agencies. For some airlines that support comes in the form of volunteers from their employee ranks, heading in to the disaster area to support the efforts on the ground. And for others the support comes in encouraging members to donate to the relief organizations, mostly in the form of earning frequent flyer points in exchange for donating.
Here are the links I can find right now for airlines offering up bonus miles. If anyone has any others let me know and I’ll add them to the list.
- JetBlue is matching customer donations up to the first $50,000 donated to the American Red Cross and also offering 6 points per dollar to their TrueBlue members. JetBlue is also making their presence felt on the ground in New York City, paying for meals from the Wafels & Dinges food trucks to be distributed to residents.
- Delta is donating $100,000 to the American Red Cross relief efforts. Additionally, SkyMiles members can also donate miles or money to the Red Cross; there does not appear to be any miles promo associated with it at this time.
- United Airlines is matching up to $100,000 in donations to three charities: the American Red Cross, Feeding America and AmeriCares. As of this morning their member have already donated more than $300,000 to the charities so the match is maxed out. Additionally, members who give a minimum of $50 will receive 250 bonus miles.Donations of $100 or more will receive 500 miles. The company will issue up to 5 million miles as part of the effort.
- American Airlines is offering 250 AAdvantage miles to members who donate $50 and 500 miles to members who donate $100 or more.
- Starwood is matching donations of points made through November 30, 2012.
- 2,000 Starpoints = $25 USD donation
- 4,000 Starpoints = $50 USD donation
- 8,000 Starpoints = $100 USD donation
- 12,000 Starpoints = $150 USD donation
- 16,000 Starpoints = $200 USD donation
- Hilton is matching donations up to $100,000 through December 31, 2012. Additionally, members will earn 10 HHonors points for every dollar donated.
Finally, there are a bunch more resources available for folks looking to see how they can help out. JetBlue has a great list at the end of their post here.
Never miss another post: Sign up for email alerts and get only the content you want direct to your inbox.