Looking for a special way to celebrate the retirement and scrapping of United’s 747 fleet? The carrier is auctioning off a unique opportunity to visit a trio of its former 747s in the scrap yard at Tupelo, Mississippi with a Champagne toast in the first class cabin and a dinner under the belly of N118UA, the final 747 the carrier operated.
In total, MileagePlus Exclusives is offering only five packages for this one-of-a-kind event – two packages are available to bid on by all MileagePlus members, two packages are reserved for bids from MileagePlus Premier members and one package is for United MileagePlus Cardmembers. Each package is for two guests.
- Roundtrip United Economy® domestic airfare for two to Memphis, Tennessee
- Two-night hotel accommodations at a Marriott hotel property in Memphis
- Check-in: Friday, June 1, 2018
- Check out: Sunday, June 3, 2018
- Access for two to tour UAM’s hangar and aircraft disassembly center that holds some of United’s 747s on Saturday, June 2, 2018
- Tail numbers: N118UA, N117UA and N121UA
- Access for two to tour UAM’s Global Distribution Center on Saturday, June 2, 2018
- A champagne toast in the first-class cabin of a United 747 on Saturday, June 2, 2018
- Complimentary dinner outside with the “Queen of the Skies” on Saturday, June 2, 2018
- Roundtrip shuttle bus transportation from Memphis to Tupelo on Saturday, June 2, 2018
I expect that the bids for these packages will be far more than I’m willing to pay, but it could be a fun travel experience if you’re that into the 747s.
Also, it is interesting to see that two of the five packages are reserved for Premier members and one for cobranded credit card holders. Clearly United is working hard to add extra benefits for those groups where it can do so without added costs or complexities.
Never miss another post: Sign up for email alerts and get only the content you want direct to your inbox.