A couple weeks ago UNESCO announced that 19 new sites were being added to the World Heritage List in 2013. The sites are:
- Al Zubarah Archaeological Site
- Ancient City of Tauric Chersonese and its Chora
- Bergpark Wilhelmshöhe
- Cultural Landscape of Honghe Hani Rice Terraces
- Fujisan, sacred place and source of artistic inspiration
- Golestan Palace
- Hill Forts of Rajasthan
- Historic Centre of Agadez
- Historic Monuments and Sites in Kaesong
- Levuka Historical Port Town
- Medici Villas and Gardens in Tuscany
- Red Bay Basque Whaling Station
- University of Coimbra – Alta and Sofia
- Wooden Tserkvas of the Carpathian Region in Poland and Ukraine
- El Pinacate and Gran Desierto de Altar Biosphere Reserve
- Mount Etna
- Namib Sand Sea
- Tajik National Park (Mountains of the Pamirs)
- Xinjiang Tianshan
I’ve not yet visited any of them but looking at some of the photos on the UNESCO site has me ready to go for several of them.
Also, these sites are now included in the collection at the World Heritage Sites tracker portion of my Wandering Aramean Travel Tools site. Record your visits, map out which sites are nearby and see what other visitors have to say. I’m up to 65 sites visited so far; how many do you have??
Never miss another post: Sign up for email alerts and get only the content you want direct to your inbox.